Sometimes all you need is some warm, filling, hearty food that comforts you. In Cape Town, our winters tend to be cold and wet. This is a time when many of us hibernate within our homes and avoid going out at all costs!
When you’re not in the mood to cook, Wildsprout has you covered with an amazing selection of frozen meals and soups, made in house with only the purest of ingredients. Making it easy for you to find healthy food in Cape Town.
However, there’s nothing like a homecooked meal and it can be a lot of fun to make it yourself!
Our Vegan Cheesy Quinoa Broccoli Bake ticks all of these boxes. Its warm, its hearty and you can cook it yourself at home! Add this to your list of vegan recipes in South Africa, made easy when you order the ingredients online from Wildsprout. All the food to your door, normally within a couple of hours. This means you don’t even have to leave the house.
Read our recipe below and see the links to the products in our store! Happy shopping now = happy eating later.
For the Bake:
- 1 whole large broccoli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive / peanut / coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- Breadcrumbs (You can make your own by pulsing one slice of toasted wholegrain bread or seedloaf in a food processor)
For the Cheesy Sauce:
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least two hours, rinsed, and drained
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked (or one can – drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 300ml vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce / tamari
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- dash of ground black pepper
- Steam the broccoli until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes). Remove them from heat.
- Blend all of the sauce ingredients together in a high speed blender or a food processor until they're totally smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic, and sauté the vegetables until the onion is clear and soft (about 7 minutes). Add the quinoa and the broccoli to the pot. Add the sauce and stir everything to heat it through.
- Transfer all ingredients to a large baking dish. (or 4 individual dishes) Top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.